I am a Software Developer.
Before that I got a history degree, and worked as a Market Researcher for a few years, but I didn’t really like either of those things.
Somehow since then I have ended up, in roughly this order:
- Teaching myself some maths and deciding I liked it
- Teaching myself some programming and deciding I liked it
- Retraining as a Software Developer via a conversion MSc in computer science (graduated 2015)
- Job hopping outrageously as a Software Developer for a few years, and specialising in front end development
- Becoming an independent contractor, specialising in front end development (did this for around 3 years)
- Studying for a part time degree in physics with the Open University (if all goes to plan I will be finished in 2025)
- Settling back into the warm embrace of permanent employment as a Senior Frontend Engineer (using Vue.js at the moment after a long time using Angular)
I got to this point by asking clever people lots of stupid questions, and this blog is a place to collect the answers I’ve found to those questions.
Hopefully some of the answers will be useful for others starting out as software professionals, especially those who might have got into it in a roundabout way like I did!